The Silver Eel

"A gape-jawed serpentine shape of pale metal crested with soot hung high for a sign."

Monday, September 04, 2006

AT THIS I KVELL

From Shop Talk by Philip Roth:

Isaac Bashevis Singer: I once was sitting in the subway with the Yiddish writer S, who had a beard, and at this time, forty years ago, very few people had beards. And he liked women, so he looked over and sitting across from him was a young woman, and he seemed to be highly interested. I sat on the side and I saw it - he didn't see me. Suddenly right near him came in another man also with a beard, and he began to look at the same woman. When S saw another one with a beard, he got up and left. He suddenly realised his own ridiculous situation. And this woman, as soon as this other man came in, she must have thought, What's going on here, already two beards?

Philip Roth: You had no beard.

Isaac Bashevis Singer: No, no. Do I need everything? A bald head and a beard?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home