The Silver Eel

"A gape-jawed serpentine shape of pale metal crested with soot hung high for a sign."

Sunday, September 10, 2006

UNKNOWN ROUSSEAU


...at least to me. I don't claim to have any kind of knowledge of art, beyond knowing what I like. I've had a print of Rousseau's The Snake Charmer for ages, and remember how it had an almost physical impact on me when I first saw it: Yes - that's it! That's how it is! though the 'it' in question was and is beyond articulation. Some perspective, some sense of mental ordering or state of imagination. Certainly it had a lot to do with my personal dream-world. Dali's Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee... and Ernst's The Angel of Hearth and Home had a similar effect. It's not something that happens now, sadly, but I like how in the above image it seems the lion is a product of the gypsy's dreaming, yet it still presents a threat to him.

2 Comments:

At 14 September 2006 at 20:32 , Blogger Joe said...

When any piece of art - painting, sculpture, mosaic, poem, dance, music etc - has that indefinable effect on your mind it is a moment that reminds you that magic exists. We can try to articulate it and, depending on our abilities we may convey something of the experience, but we know really deep down that part of the magic of the interaction is that it isn't fully explicable, it's just something you know, like being in love.

 
At 26 September 2006 at 11:24 , Blogger Yewtree said...

I really like this painting, but haven't seen it for ages. I'm glad you like it too. I always thought it was Joseph in the desert; I didn't realise it was called The Sleeping Gypsy.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home